Tuesday, September 6, 2011

On my easel...


Pictured here is a snapshot (not final image) of the painting on my easel. This was my first time painting on Gessobord, and I really like the fine grain for painting portraits. This piece is a small format (20" x 16") for a 3/4 length portrait, so it was important to use a surface that facilitates the rendering of fine details, such as for her face. I didn't tone the board as I do with canvas, but rather painted directly onto the white sanded surface, first working with thin layers of paint, and gradually building up the thicker (less turpentine, more oil) layers. I tend to paint in layers, letting the paint dry overnight, adding subsequent layers each day.

6 comments:

Ampersand Art Supply said...

Lovely painting and go glad you like the Gessobord surface :). Can't wait to see the final!

lkligge said...

Great! The fineness of the texture is immediately apparent. The three dimensionality of the face is very believable.

Kendra said...

Nice painting Holly! The gessobord surface is nice, consistent too.

Barb Goodsitt said...

Beautiful!

Arti said...

Wonderful portrait, Holly...

Jenn Falcon said...

too cute!