Friday, June 12, 2009

Portrait of a Storyteller


I am nearing completion on a portrait of a woman who is a Storyteller, and I wanted to post a photo of my work area along with reference photos. In this case, I had several photos to work from, but I still chose a combination of three to use for the portrait. I don't have Photoshop, so the combining process is more creative than technical. In general, I used the photo on the top left as a reference for painting her face, while her hands and the book were based on the photo on the bottom left. The photo to the right of the portrait is one I used as inspiration, as I felt it showcased her personality. Though the portrait is not quite complete, I am satisfied with the likeness, as I feel it represents her essence better than any of the reference photographs.

12 comments:

AndreaQ said...

Holly, I can't believe you've only recently decided to do fine art as your full-time gig! It's clear that you've had the talent and skills to succeed with art all along! Cheers!

hbedrosian said...

Thank you so much, Andrea! (By the way, I checked out your food blog - I'll have to try out one of those scrumptious sounding recipes!)

Carolina said...

Hi Holly!
I think the likeness is very-very good, and the colors are great (she ended up with such a nice make-up!). You're doing great!
Regards,
Carolina

artbykarieann said...

beautiful Holly, the book looks as though it is touchable

Artman2112 said...

nice work Holly, i especially like the technique used on her hair.

Lauren Maurer said...

Lovely!

hbedrosian said...

Thank you all for your comments! Artman: I actually left the hair very loose and considered refining it more, but decided against it; I'm glad to hear you like it as is!

Unknown said...

Hi Holly. This is really beautiful. you have captured the lady well. and the colors are great.

Great job. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Unknown said...

Wow Holly! I can't really get a clear look at this the way I'd like to, but it looks like the book is a 3 dimensional projection from the body. Very cool.

hbedrosian said...

Thank you for your comments! Yes, the photo has some glare, especially where the painting is still wet. I'll probably get this scanned next week and be able to post a better image.

Gary Keimig said...

Very well done, Holly. Thewe last several portraits are just outstanding.
Hope your recovery from the Marathon is complete

hbedrosian said...

Thank you, Gary! Actually, it was "only" a half-marathon, but I wasn't at all prepared... I'm feeling much better now, thank you.