Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Oil Painting on Pastelbord



I finished the oil painting on Pastelbord and took a quick photo, shown above. The experience was very different than working on canvas - more "delicate" as I couldn't apply too much paint or it would get streaky. The background in the reference photograph was lacking because at the time the trees didn't have many leaves yet and the flowers hadn't really bloomed (not to mention that there was a big barn-like shed in the background). So I got my ideas for the background while on my morning jog, taking note of the variety of spring colors in the trees and flowers. To make sure the colors were accurate, I also looked at the trees outside my studio window while painting. Since it has been raining so much, the background ended up taking on a wet look, so I decided to call this "After the Rain".

3 comments:

Arti said...

It has come out so well!You did a great job on background.Everything looks perfect to me.

Chris Chalk said...

Hi Holly, I came across ya site whilst surfing. This is a fine painting. Is it you? Anyway it's good work. There's quite a lot going on in there so it keeps the viewer looking for a while too. Keep creating, Chris

hbedrosian said...

Thank you, Arti and Chalky. This was kind of an experiment as it was my first time working with oil on Pastelbord. Yes, this piece is based on a photograph of myself.