Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Latest Piece...

Botanical Lace
16" x 20"
Colored pencil on Rtistx Panel

I’m finally posting my latest piece, shown above. You may recognize me as the subject in this piece as well as a few others. My reason for this is simple: I’m a convenient subject! Also, I like to be able to have complete control over the pose, clothing, and expression. I sometimes set up a camera with a timer to photograph myself, but often I just ask my husband to take a few snapshots (he’s very patient taking direction from me!)

I use the photographs quite loosely, however. I like to tweak colors and shape. In this piece, the leaves behind me were much more misshapen and with lighter shadows, but I wanted to carry the lace theme throughout the piece. Also, my hair is dark, but not black and definitely does not shine blue (though it did once as a result of a bad at-home dye experience!)

I have started a similar piece – though only 12”x16” – and should be ready to post it sometime next week.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! Very nice. I agree with you on the way the leaves tie in nicely with the lace.

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

It's gorgeous Holly!
I've never tried painting myself before although I may in the future. I usually end up doing my daughters a lot for the same reasons you mentioned.
I think you make a great subject!
Your theme of lace carried well throughout the entire piece.

hbedrosian said...

Thank you, Kasie. I definitely exercise "artistic freedom" to make changes like smoothing out my skin!

Unknown said...

I can really see this piece going places...
It is so strikingly beautiful.

Kathy said...

Another beautiful piece, Holly! Keep 'em coming.

hbedrosian said...

Thank you Sheona and Kathy!
Kathy, I should have a similar one to post by early next week - it's the next installment in my seasons series...

Marsha Robinett said...

This piece is just lovely. I can't decide if you're depicting a "woman" who is aloof or shy. Very nice.

hbedrosian said...

Hmmm... interesting thought Marsha - maybe both?

Thanks for the comment!

Teresa Mallen said...

Beautiful job Holly!

I especially like the work you did on the dress, particularly on the part that covers your back.

Thanks for sharing how this piece came about. I probably would not have thought that you had posed in front of a real bush. My guess would have been that you had created it from your imagination. It is very interesting to learn that the shrub was real but 'modified'.

Anyway, lovely piece!